London, a city known for its bustling streets and diverse culinary scene, can be intimidating for budget-conscious travellers. But worry not! We’re sharing the best cheap eats in London. has plenty of affordable dining options that will satisfy your taste buds without impacting your wallet. We’ll guide you through five specific places to eat on the go, including popular chains and local gems that are truly budget-friendly eateries in London.
Pret A Manger:
- Location: Various locations across London.
- Estimated Cost: £5-£8 for a sandwich or salad.
- Closest Tube Stop: Varies by location, but you can find Pret A Manger near many major stations.
Pret A Manger, a beloved British chain, is a haven for delicious, on-the-go meals. With locations scattered throughout London, Pret offers a variety of freshly made sandwiches, salads, and hot soups. Our personal favourite? The Chicken Ceaser Wrap or, if you’re there for breakfast, their smoked salmon and egg baguette sandwich.
Boots and Sainsbury’s Local:
- Location: You’ll find Boots and Sainsbury’s Local stores throughout the city.
- Estimated Cost: £3-£5 for a meal deal.
- Closest Tube Stop: These stores are conveniently located near many tube stations in central London.
Many local grocery chains, including Boots and Sainsbury’s Local, offer meal deal options. These typically include a sandwich, a snack (like chips or fruit), and a drink (usually a cold drink or water) for a set price. There’s a reason why these chains are considered the best option for budget-friendly eateries in London. Not only that, but it’s perfect for those looking to grab a quick, satisfying meal without the restaurant price tag, and you can eat it on the go too.
Brick Lane Beigel Bake:
- Location: 159 Brick Lane, E1 6SB, East London.
- Estimated Cost: £3-£5 for a filled bagel.
- Closest Tube Stop: Aldgate East or Shoreditch High Street stations are a short walk away.
Located on Brick Lane, the heart of East London, Brick Lane Beigel Bake is an iconic eatery that has been serving mouthwatering bagels for decades. Their salt beef bagels are legendary, but you can also indulge in smoked salmon, cream cheese, or classic fillings like cheese and pickle for under a fiver! If you’re in Shoreditch, make sure to check out our other guide to the area, including other tasty places to eat and things to see and do!
- Location: 8 Southwark St, London SE1 1TL.
- Estimated Cost: Prices vary, but street food options for £5-£10 are available.
- Closest Tube Stop: London Bridge Station is right next to the market.
Borough Market is a food lover’s paradise nestled under the railway arches by London Bridge and is considered one of the iconic sites to visit and eat at whilst in London. While some of the stalls may be on the pricier side, there are plenty of budget-friendly options to discover. From delectable street food vendors to mouthwatering international cuisines, you can indulge in a wide range of flavors without breaking the bank.
- Location: Multiple branches across London.
- Estimated Cost: £6-£10 for a hot box or wrap.
- Closest Tube Stop: Varies by location, but Leon restaurants are often located near major tube stations.
Leon is a London-based fast food chain with a health-conscious twist. Their menu is packed with flavorful, wholesome options, including wraps, salads, and hot boxes. They focus on natural ingredients and cater to various dietary preferences. It’s a guilt-free and wallet-friendly choice for a quick, nutritious meal that is sure to please any budget.
You don’t have to go broke to eat
London may have a reputation for high-end dining, but there are plenty of budget-friendly Eateries in London available for those on the go. Whether you’re in the mood for a Pret sandwich, a traditional bagel from Brick Lane Beigel Bake, a flavorful bite from Borough Market, or a balanced meal from Leon, there’s a wide range of affordable eateries to explore. Additionally, don’t forget to check out local grocery chains like Boots and Sainsbury’s Local for convenient meal deals. Your culinary journey through London can be both delicious and budget-friendly.